Feb 13 2018
Lodge Thistle & Crown No. 1167 celebrated its Centenary in style on Saturday, 10th February with an official visit from the Grand Lodge of Scotland who conducted a ceremony of rededication and reconsecration in their Neilston temple – packed for the occasion by more than 150 Brethren.
The Grand Lodge Deputation was headed by RW Depute Grand Master, Bro. Ewan Rutherford. Brethren from all over Scotland were present including a large Deputation from the Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East headed by the RWPGM Bro. Neil Fraser.
Lodge Thistle and Crown was originally chartered on 3rd February 1817. However, during difficult economic times in the 1800s it went into “darkness”
In April 1917 the local doctor in the village of Neilston, Dr David Pride MD, JP (a member of Lodge Union & Crown, No.307 in Barrhead) wrote to the Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East seeking support for the “resuscitation” of the Lodge. A petition signed by thirty-seven local Masons, and supported by Lodge Paisley St Mirrins, No 129 and Lodge Craigends No 1042 was forwarded to Provincial Grand Lodge and received their support in October of that year.
A Charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of Scotland to “Thistle & Crown” on 7th February 1918, with the now familiar number of 1167. Over the next forty years, the Lodge met in various places throughout the village of Neilston, including the Public School in High Street and the Glen Halls on Main Street. In the early 1960s, the present building was purchased and converted to the fine Temple you now see. This was extremely fitting, as it had originally been the dwelling house of Dr David Pride MD, Thistle & Crown’s founding Right Worshipful Master.
The premises, which are in a prominent position at the entrance to Neilston, were extended during the 1970s when a function suite was added.
The function hall and temple has been upgraded in recent years following a fire which caused extensive smoke damage. The Brethren worked extremely hard to ensure the Lodge continued within the village.
The Lodge has embarked on an awareness programme in the village with donations of both money and materials for various projects, schools and charitable causes.
The Depute Grand Master took the opportunity of his visit to congratulate the lodge and praised its members for the effort they have put into assisting the local community over the years and wished the lodge well for the future.
Following the ceremony, the members of the lodge and their guests enjoyed a four-course meal followed by entertainment in the evening